Govt working on improving disposal of pending cases: Prez
New Delhi: Noting that the government
accords high importance to improve the delivery of justice to
all, President Pratibha Patil on Monday said a set of proposals
expected to be finalised shortly would help reduce delays in
disposal of pending cases.
"My government attaches high priority to improving the
delivery of justice and reducing delays in the disposal of
cases," Patil said addressing both Houses of Parliament.
Talking about the National Mission for Delivery of
Justice and Legal Reforms which aims at timely delivery of
justice to all, she said, "This should result in
re-engineering of procedures, improving of human resources in
this sector and leveraging of information technology."
Details of the Mission would be shortly finalised, the
The pendency of cases in High Courts has increased
during the last three years and the government now aims to
reduce it from an average of 15 years at present to an average
of 3 years.
The President also referred to the Judicial Standards and
Accountability Bill which has been introduced in Parliament.
The bill, she said, is "intended to enhance the
accountability of the judiciary, thereby improving its image
The Bill provides a mechanism for enquiring into
complaints against the Judges of the Supreme Court and the
High Courts, requires them to declare their assets and
liabilities and lays down judicial standards.
It will address the growing concerns regarding the need
to ensure greater accountability of the higher judiciary by
bringing in more transparency and would further strengthen the
credibility and independence of the judiciary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof