Govt`s no to declaring Netaji birthday as `Desh Prem Divas`
New Delhi: The government has rejected a
request made by an MP to declare the birth anniversary of
Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose as the `Day of Patriotism`, saying
that the idea did not appear "appropriate".
V Narayanasamy, Minister of State for Planning and
Parliamentary Affairs, who holds the ad-hoc charge of the
Ministry of Culture, has said the suggestion by MP Barun
Mukherjee was considered by the Ministry.
"If at all a day is to be declared as Desh Prem Divas, it
does not appear to be appropriate to be so declared on the
birth anniversary of any particular personality," he said in
his response to Mukherjee, a copy of which was released to the
He pointed out that even the birth anniversary of Mahatma
Gandhi has not been declared as any special day relating to
the freedom movement of India.
"Many eminent personalities took part in the freedom
struggle of India and the immense contribution made by them
cannot be judged relatively," he said, adding it was not
possible to agree to the request at this stage.
Mukherjee, an MP from West Bengal, had raised the issue
in the Rajya Sabha in 2008, and requested the government of
India to declare January 23 as `Desh Prem Divas` or `Day of
Patriotism` to inspire the young generation of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up