Gowda marks tribal land encroachment behind spurt in Naxalism
Patna: Former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda
today identified the alleged encroachment of tribal land in
the name of industrial development among key reasons for the
people taking up arms to fight for their rights.
"There has been a significant rise in tribal land being
taken away by the industrial houses in the name of development
though corruption in implementation of tribal welfare schemes
have driven the locals to take up arms to fight for their
rights," he said at a function here.
"Those people (tribals) have taken up arms under the
umbrella of the Naxal outfits to fight for their rights,"
Gowda said and cited an apparent corollary between the land
acquisition for industrialisation in tribal areas and
increased Maoist activities.
Describing the Maoists as the "sons of the soil", he
regretted that these people have taken up the path of violence
to vent their grievances.
The JD-S chief also trashed the growth rate figure
released by the government from time to time to substantiate
economic development and said the fact remained that rich were
getting richer day by day and the poor were becoming poorer.
"The growth rate cannot be the right formula to judge
whether all sections of the society have been benefitting from
the fruits of development," he said, adding no matter what was
the development index the rich people will become richer and
the poor poorer.
Gowda blamed both Congress and BJP for pursuing identical
socio-economic agendas to create a chasm in society between
rich and poor.
He also sought to pass the buck on Congress and BJP for
general public becoming disillusioned with political class due
to their similar socio-economic agendas and said these two
parties have set out to make a bipolar political system in the
country given their understanding on a number of bills in the
"The Congress and BJP are the two sides of the same coin,
the former Prime Minister said and appealed to all splinter
groups of the then `Janata Parivar` to come together to give a
befitting reply to these two parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’