Gowda sidesteps query on Third front
Bangalore: Former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda
on Saturday sidestepped a query on formation of a Third Front in the
country,saying he was concentrating on strengthening his JDS
"If regional parties become strong, they will have more
say.I have decided to concentrate on strengthening JDS
in the state. I am going to fully concentrate on this", Gowda
told reporters here.
His reaction came to a query whether he would play a
lead role in formation of a third front in the wake of poll
success achieved by Samajwadi Party, which was voted to power
in Uttar Pradesh.
Gowda cited success of SP and also Trinamool Congress in
West Bengal to drive home his argument that regional parties
should be strengthened.
He said he has already toured nine districts of Karnataka
and would also visit the remaining 21 districts as part
of the ongoing exercise to strengthen JDS to prepare it for
assembly elections next year .
JD(S) has currently 26 MLAs in the 224-member assembly.
Gowda slammed the Union Budget presented by Finance
Minister Pranab Mukherjee, which he dubbed as "anti-poor,
anti-farmer". The hike in service tax and excise duty will
burden the comman man, he said.
On the upcoming biennial election being held to four
Rajya Sabha seats in Karnataka on March 30, Gowda said his
party leaders would meet tomorrow to decide whether to
field a candidate or extend support to any candidate.
JD(S) with 26 MLAs does not have strength to win a seat
as the winning candidate needs 46 first preference votes to
coast to victory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble