Gowda sidesteps query on Third front
Bangalore: Former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda
on Saturday sidestepped a query on formation of a Third Front in the
country,saying he was concentrating on strengthening his JDS
"If regional parties become strong, they will have more
say.I have decided to concentrate on strengthening JDS
in the state. I am going to fully concentrate on this", Gowda
told reporters here.
His reaction came to a query whether he would play a
lead role in formation of a third front in the wake of poll
success achieved by Samajwadi Party, which was voted to power
in Uttar Pradesh.
Gowda cited success of SP and also Trinamool Congress in
West Bengal to drive home his argument that regional parties
should be strengthened.
He said he has already toured nine districts of Karnataka
and would also visit the remaining 21 districts as part
of the ongoing exercise to strengthen JDS to prepare it for
assembly elections next year .
JD(S) has currently 26 MLAs in the 224-member assembly.
Gowda slammed the Union Budget presented by Finance
Minister Pranab Mukherjee, which he dubbed as "anti-poor,
anti-farmer". The hike in service tax and excise duty will
burden the comman man, he said.
On the upcoming biennial election being held to four
Rajya Sabha seats in Karnataka on March 30, Gowda said his
party leaders would meet tomorrow to decide whether to
field a candidate or extend support to any candidate.
JD(S) with 26 MLAs does not have strength to win a seat
as the winning candidate needs 46 first preference votes to
coast to victory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic
- Will women be allowed to enter Haji Ali shrine? Bombay HC verdict today
- Check out the posters of Sunny Leone’s ‘Beiimaan Love’
- Central team to visit Kashmir to look into infiltration today