Gr Noida land row: HC notice to UP on plea seeking CBI probe
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court Friday issued notices to the Centre and the Uttar Pradesh government seeking their replies on a petition seeking a CBI inquiry into the incidents of violence during farmers` agitation in Bhatta Parsaul village at Greater Noida earlier this month.
The order was passed by a division bench comprising
justices Vineet Saran and Vikram Nath on a petition filed by
Atul Sharma, a social worker and resident of Surajpur village
of Gautam Buddh Nagar, situated close to Bhatta Parsaul.
The court asked the Centre and the state government to
file their replies within four weeks and fixed July 11 as the
next date of hearing in the matter.
The petitioner had demanded a CBI inquiry into the May 7
incident and its aftermath. On May 7, violence broke out when
a team of officials led by DM Deepak Agarwal visited the
village to free some officials of the state roadways transport
corporation who were allegedly held hostage for three days by
irate villagers whose land had been acquired by the Mayawati
government for the Yamuna Expressway project.
Two Provincial Armed Constabulary jawans and as many
farmers were killed in the violence, while several others
including the DM were seriously injured.
The violence was followed by allegations of widespread
harassment of villagers by the police and even sexual assault
on the women folk.
The incident had sent the political temperature in the
state soaring, with AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi and
senior BJP leader Rajnath Singh staging separate dharnas
condemning the state government`s "high-handedness" and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad