Granting Sanjay Dutt remission will set bad precedent: Gopinath Munde
Jalna: Senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde on Saturday said he was opposed to granting any remission to actor Sanjay Dutt, whose conviction in connection with the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts was recently upheld by the Supreme Court.
"Granting any remission to Sanjay Dutt would set a bad precedent. Sanjay Dutt should not be pardoned simply because he is a celebrity", Munde said addressing a function here.
Dutt would have to undergo nearly three-and-a-half-years in jail after the apex court ruled against granting any probation to the actor found guilty of illegal possession of arms during the blasts.
Munde also condemned the recent attack on a police officer by a section of MLAs in the Vidhan Bhavan premises in Mumbai.
On severe drought, Munde alleged that the state government was meeting out step-motherly treatment to Marathwada facing the worst drought in decades.
He appealed to public representatives cutting across party lines to bury their differences and fight in unison for the plight of Marathwada.
"The state government has failed to get sufficient funds to tackle the drought as a result of which people are migrating from the region", he said, while appealing to industrialists and social organisations to come forward to extend helping hand to the affected people.
Munde also criticised the move by both houses of Maharashtra Legislature of admitting privilege motions against two senior journalists.
"Instead of personal interest, elected representatives should work in the public interest", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video