`Green ambassador` Kalam advocates tree plantation
New Delhi: Recognising forests as a major
C02 sink (absorber) that neutralises 11 per cent of India`s
total green house gas emissions, former President APJ Abdul
Kalam on Wednesday advocated for a "Mission: Ten billion trees."
"In India we should aim to plant one billion trees.
The motto will be "Billion trees for billion people". This can
be done by every citizen planting a tree.
"Some may plant 100 trees, some may plant 10 trees and
some may plant one. This is what the youth of the nation can
contribute in, making a good weather mission," said Kalam who
was facilitated today as the country`s first `Paryavaran`
Ambassador by environment Minister Jairam Ramesh.
The scientist also called for a youth movement instead
of political one to combat climate change for sustainable
"Unless everybody becomes responsible to take green
initiatives, it is not possible to check climate change. We
need to start a youth movement and not a political movement to
bring the change.
"The movement should start from the schools,
sensitising the students who can contribute by adopting
eco-friendly measures," said Kalam.
Kalam was chosen as `green ambassador` by school
students across the country following a campaign implemented
in 15 languages in over two lakh schools.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened