`Green Tribunal`s head to be appointed in a month`
New Delhi: The Centre Wednesday assured the Supreme Court that chairperson of National Green Tribunal would be appointed within four weeks and all necessary facilities would be provided to its members after the judges pulled it up for the delay.
"We do not discriminate betwen X and Y but recommendation for appointment of an eminent jurist were kept pending for three months due to which he left," a bench of justices G S Singhvi and S J Mukhopadhyay said.
"We lost opportunity to appoint a distinguished person on the post," the bench said while referring to retired Supreme Court judge R V Raveendran, who withdrew his consent for appointment as NGT chief.
The bench rapped the governemnt for not providing proper accomodation to the tribunal and its members. It sought response from the Centre on why its chairman and members not be treated on par with sitting judges of the apex court.
"We just want to know why government should not give all facilities to them which are given to sitting judges," the bench said.
"They must function with dignity. It would amount to compromising the dignity of the institution," the bench said while referring to lack of facilities to the judicial members of the tribunal.
"We are hopeful that we do not have to pass orders," the further said while expressing hope that government would provide all facilities.
Solicitor General Rohinton Nariman said that governemnt has put in motion the process for the appointment of sitting Supreme Court judge Swatanter Kumar to head the tribunal as per the recommendation of Chief Justice S H Kapadia.
The bench also issued notice to the Madhaya Pradesh government for not providing proper office space to the Bhopal branch of the tribunal which is operating from a basement.
It asked the state Chief Secretary to file reply on why accomodation was not provided to the tribunal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM