`Green Tribunal`s head to be appointed in a month`
New Delhi: The Centre Wednesday assured the Supreme Court that chairperson of National Green Tribunal would be appointed within four weeks and all necessary facilities would be provided to its members after the judges pulled it up for the delay.
"We do not discriminate betwen X and Y but recommendation for appointment of an eminent jurist were kept pending for three months due to which he left," a bench of justices G S Singhvi and S J Mukhopadhyay said.
"We lost opportunity to appoint a distinguished person on the post," the bench said while referring to retired Supreme Court judge R V Raveendran, who withdrew his consent for appointment as NGT chief.
The bench rapped the governemnt for not providing proper accomodation to the tribunal and its members. It sought response from the Centre on why its chairman and members not be treated on par with sitting judges of the apex court.
"We just want to know why government should not give all facilities to them which are given to sitting judges," the bench said.
"They must function with dignity. It would amount to compromising the dignity of the institution," the bench said while referring to lack of facilities to the judicial members of the tribunal.
"We are hopeful that we do not have to pass orders," the further said while expressing hope that government would provide all facilities.
Solicitor General Rohinton Nariman said that governemnt has put in motion the process for the appointment of sitting Supreme Court judge Swatanter Kumar to head the tribunal as per the recommendation of Chief Justice S H Kapadia.
The bench also issued notice to the Madhaya Pradesh government for not providing proper office space to the Bhopal branch of the tribunal which is operating from a basement.
It asked the state Chief Secretary to file reply on why accomodation was not provided to the tribunal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm