`Green Tribunal`s head to be appointed in a month`
New Delhi: The Centre Wednesday assured the Supreme Court that chairperson of National Green Tribunal would be appointed within four weeks and all necessary facilities would be provided to its members after the judges pulled it up for the delay.
"We do not discriminate betwen X and Y but recommendation for appointment of an eminent jurist were kept pending for three months due to which he left," a bench of justices G S Singhvi and S J Mukhopadhyay said.
"We lost opportunity to appoint a distinguished person on the post," the bench said while referring to retired Supreme Court judge R V Raveendran, who withdrew his consent for appointment as NGT chief.
The bench rapped the governemnt for not providing proper accomodation to the tribunal and its members. It sought response from the Centre on why its chairman and members not be treated on par with sitting judges of the apex court.
"We just want to know why government should not give all facilities to them which are given to sitting judges," the bench said.
"They must function with dignity. It would amount to compromising the dignity of the institution," the bench said while referring to lack of facilities to the judicial members of the tribunal.
"We are hopeful that we do not have to pass orders," the further said while expressing hope that government would provide all facilities.
Solicitor General Rohinton Nariman said that governemnt has put in motion the process for the appointment of sitting Supreme Court judge Swatanter Kumar to head the tribunal as per the recommendation of Chief Justice S H Kapadia.
The bench also issued notice to the Madhaya Pradesh government for not providing proper office space to the Bhopal branch of the tribunal which is operating from a basement.
It asked the state Chief Secretary to file reply on why accomodation was not provided to the tribunal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs