Gross violation of rule of law: CPI on Afzal Guru hanging
New Delhi: CPI on Monday attacked the government for "gross violations" of the law and procedures in the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru and asked it to take urgent corrective measures.
"The authorities did not wait for completion of judicial process after rejection of the mercy petition that includes the right to fresh review petition. It is a gross violation of rule of law," the CPI Central Secretariat said in a statement.
It also attacked the authorities for taking a "comical position" by informing the victim`s family by speed post, claiming that this "obviously was done in a calculated manner so that the victim and his family could be denied the legal provision of last meeting before the hanging."
"These gross violations of procedures and rule of law is also violation of human rights. This has strengthened the feeling of injustice among the people who were also not satisfied with the legal verdict. This has also resulted in gross sense of alienation among the people of Kashmir Valley."
Terming as "secretive" the hanging of Guru, "a secondary accused in the Parliament attack case", it demanded that the government take "urgent corrective measures and follow rule of law in regard to performance of last rites" of Guru.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents