Gross violation of rule of law: CPI on Afzal Guru hanging
New Delhi: CPI on Monday attacked the government for "gross violations" of the law and procedures in the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru and asked it to take urgent corrective measures.
"The authorities did not wait for completion of judicial process after rejection of the mercy petition that includes the right to fresh review petition. It is a gross violation of rule of law," the CPI Central Secretariat said in a statement.
It also attacked the authorities for taking a "comical position" by informing the victim`s family by speed post, claiming that this "obviously was done in a calculated manner so that the victim and his family could be denied the legal provision of last meeting before the hanging."
"These gross violations of procedures and rule of law is also violation of human rights. This has strengthened the feeling of injustice among the people who were also not satisfied with the legal verdict. This has also resulted in gross sense of alienation among the people of Kashmir Valley."
Terming as "secretive" the hanging of Guru, "a secondary accused in the Parliament attack case", it demanded that the government take "urgent corrective measures and follow rule of law in regard to performance of last rites" of Guru.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy