Group C govt officials not under Lokpal: Singhvi
New Delhi: Giving a detailed view of the Lokpal draft tabled in Parliament on Friday, the Parliamentary Standing Committee chairman Abhishek Manu Singhvi said that Group C government employees will come under Chief Vigilance Commissioner (CVC).
Addressing the media, Singhvi said CVC will file a quarterly report to the Lokpal.
Abhishek Manu Singhvi, Chairman of the Standing Committee on Law and Justice, Public Grievances and Personnel tabled the draft in Rajya Sabha and Committee member Pinaki Misra tabled it in Lok Sabha.
The Congress leader said that NGO’s receiving more than 10 lakhs donations will come under the umbrella of Lokpal.
The Parliamentary Standing Committee chairman said statutory status had been recommended for the Lokpal while the issue of bringing the prime minister under its ambit had been left to Parliament.
There had been three suggestions - inclusion of the prime minister under Lokpal, non-inclusion and deferred inclusion, he added.
The Parliamentary Committee allayed fears that making it a constitutional body would delay its passage and maintained that the process can be completed in a single day.
It can be passed on the same day and at the same time as the latter though by a different majority," Committee chaiperson Abhishek Singhvi told reporters.
Singhvi further said the proposed amendment bill to grant constitutional status will not have more than seven paragraphs.
He was hopeful that the Cabinet would clear the Bill and place the amended version before Parliament for its passage.
"Intentions are very clear that this Bill has to be brought in this session of Parliament," Singhvi said, adding there were nine more days in the Winter Session to pass the legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- It's a wrap! Alia Bhatt finishes off Gauri Shinde's next and how
- REVEALED: Why Mayanti Langer does not support husband Stuart Binny on public platform
- This lake in Himachal Pradesh is a visual delight – Check out details
- Celine Dion named husband's administrator
- Madonna pays tribute to Prince at Billboard Music Awards