Group of trespassers held at Ramlila Ground
New Delhi: High drama ensued well past after
midnight on Thursday at the VIP gate of Ramlila Maidan here where Anna
Hazare is sitting on a protest fast, as a group of people
clashed with policemen and dismantled barricades.
According to eyewitnesses, a group of people got into a
tiff with some policemen deployed at the rear gate of the
maidan around 3 am.
The youth heckled the policemen and hit them with sticks
when they tried stopped the group from opening the large iron
gate, being used as VIP gate, of the ground.
"A group of people got involved with policemen and then
tried to flung open the gate of the Maidan," a police officer
deployed at the agitation site said requesting anonymity.
The officer`s shoulder lapels were torn in the melee.
The group brought down the barricades and shouted slogans
as policemen tried to persuade them to go away.
A senior Delhi police official soon arrived at the spot
and a platoon of the CRPF personnel was called in to control
the group of about 7-8 youths.
Four Police Control Room (PCR) vans reached on the spot
after 20 minutes.
The group threw the chairs used by policemen at the gate
The officer, however, refused to comment on the incident
as he ordered his staff to place the fallen barricades in
Following the incident police has cordoned off the road
towards the VIP gate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him