Group of trespassers held at Ramlila Ground
New Delhi: High drama ensued well past after
midnight on Thursday at the VIP gate of Ramlila Maidan here where Anna
Hazare is sitting on a protest fast, as a group of people
clashed with policemen and dismantled barricades.
According to eyewitnesses, a group of people got into a
tiff with some policemen deployed at the rear gate of the
maidan around 3 am.
The youth heckled the policemen and hit them with sticks
when they tried stopped the group from opening the large iron
gate, being used as VIP gate, of the ground.
"A group of people got involved with policemen and then
tried to flung open the gate of the Maidan," a police officer
deployed at the agitation site said requesting anonymity.
The officer`s shoulder lapels were torn in the melee.
The group brought down the barricades and shouted slogans
as policemen tried to persuade them to go away.
A senior Delhi police official soon arrived at the spot
and a platoon of the CRPF personnel was called in to control
the group of about 7-8 youths.
Four Police Control Room (PCR) vans reached on the spot
after 20 minutes.
The group threw the chairs used by policemen at the gate
The officer, however, refused to comment on the incident
as he ordered his staff to place the fallen barricades in
Following the incident police has cordoned off the road
towards the VIP gate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP