Group visa for Pak nationals may be put on hold
New Delhi: After suspension of visa on arrival facility for senior citizens of Pakistan, group visa for Pakistani nationals may be put on hold amid mounting tension on the Line of Control (LoC).
As part of the new relaxed India-Pakistan visa agreement, the two countries are expected to operationalise the group tourist visa facility to be offered to each other`s citizens from March 15 but the move may be put on hold following recent skirmishes along the border, Home Ministry officials said.
However, since the scheduled date is still two months away, no decision has been yet taken by the government on the group visa facility to be offered to the Pakistani nationals.
According to the pact, group tourist visa would be offered for a period of 30 days to tourists travelling in groups with not less than 10 members and not more than 50 members and organised by approved tour operators or travel agents.
"Government will take an appropriate view at an appropriate time," an official said.
Yesterday, India put on hold the operationalisation of visa on arrival for Pakistani nationals above 65 years which was supposed to start at the Attari Integrated Check Post.
The new visa agreement between India and Pakistan was signed in September 2012 to ease cross-border travel as part of a number of confidence building measures.
Some clauses of the relaxed visa regime like multiple- entry and reporting-free visas for businessmen and allowing them to visit five cities instead of the earlier three were operationalised when Pakistan`s Interior Minister Rehman Malik visited New Delhi last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon