Group visa for Pak nationals may be put on hold
New Delhi: After suspension of visa on arrival facility for senior citizens of Pakistan, group visa for Pakistani nationals may be put on hold amid mounting tension on the Line of Control (LoC).
As part of the new relaxed India-Pakistan visa agreement, the two countries are expected to operationalise the group tourist visa facility to be offered to each other`s citizens from March 15 but the move may be put on hold following recent skirmishes along the border, Home Ministry officials said.
However, since the scheduled date is still two months away, no decision has been yet taken by the government on the group visa facility to be offered to the Pakistani nationals.
According to the pact, group tourist visa would be offered for a period of 30 days to tourists travelling in groups with not less than 10 members and not more than 50 members and organised by approved tour operators or travel agents.
"Government will take an appropriate view at an appropriate time," an official said.
Yesterday, India put on hold the operationalisation of visa on arrival for Pakistani nationals above 65 years which was supposed to start at the Attari Integrated Check Post.
The new visa agreement between India and Pakistan was signed in September 2012 to ease cross-border travel as part of a number of confidence building measures.
Some clauses of the relaxed visa regime like multiple- entry and reporting-free visas for businessmen and allowing them to visit five cities instead of the earlier three were operationalised when Pakistan`s Interior Minister Rehman Malik visited New Delhi last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- US gives proof of Pakistan's hand in Pathankot strike
- 3rd ODI: After contributing with bat, Ben Stokes eager to bowl against Pakistan
- Foreigners should not wear skirts and roam alone at night: Tourism minister
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan spills glamour at Lakme Fashion Week 2016! – View pics
- Most Asian markets slump, Tokyo soars on US rate talk