Guj court orders inquiry in HM`s saffron terror remarks
Ahmedabad: A court in Gujarat today ordered police inquiry against Union Home Minister P Chidambaram in a defamation suit filed against him for his `saffron terrorism` remarks.
Metropolitan Magistrate M G Dave under section 202 of CrPC ordered a SP level officer to conduct an inquiry and submit a report within 90 days on the issue.
One Swami Nijanand Tirth of Patan district had filed the defamation complaint under section 499 and 500(defamation) of the Indian Penal Code in the metropolitan court.
Tirth has contended in his complaint that action should be taken against Chidambaram as the Home minister has hurt the sentiments of lakhs of Hindu saints by using the word
He said the saffron colour is symbol of Hindu religion and saints across the country wear attire of the same colour. Tirth also said that saffron was symbol of peace and sacrifice and God and those trying to demean it needs to be punished.
In his speech at the conference held in Delhi on August 25, Home Minister Chidambaram had said "...there is the recently uncovered phenomenon of saffron terrorism that has been implicated in many bomb blasts of the past."
There has been uproar across the country over the use of the phrase by Chidambaram, especially by the BJP, which has also sought apology from the minister and the Prime Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!