Guj HC ask govt to give status report on Nanavati Commission
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Thursday
asked the government pleader to furnish status report on
Nanavati Commission`s work, while hearing petition seeking
cross examination of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and
three others in connection with the 2002 riots.
A division bench of Chief Justice S J Mukhopadhaya and
Justice Akil Kureshi, hearing the petition, adjourned the
matter till June 25 after the government pleader sought time
for collecting information from the Commission, whose tenure
was likely to expire on June 30.
The Commission probing the 2002 riots comprises retd
Justice G T Nanavati and retd Justice Akshay Mehta.
The petition being heard was filed by Jan Sangarsh Manch
(JSM), an NGO representing some of the post-Godhra riot
The Nanavati Commission had told High Court during the
last hearing in the matter on April 1, that its decision of
September, 2009, of not summoning Modi was "not final".
Lawyer representing JSM, Mukul Sinha, had then requested
the court that in case Nanavati Commission does not call Modi
by June 17, then the Court could pass appropriate orders in
Modi has already been questioned in connection with 2002
riot, for over nine-hour by the Supreme Court-appointed
Special Investigation Team (SIT) on March 27 following a
complaint by one of the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read