Guj stands 5th in atrocity cases against SCs: Buta Singh
Gandhinagar: Gujarat stands fifth in
atrocities against scheduled castes while UP, Madhya Pradesh,
Bihar and Rajasthan are ahead of the state, Chairman of
National Commission for Scheduled Castes said on Friday.
"In Gujarat, SCs account for 7.5 per cent of population
and given this proportion, the number of atrocity cases is
considered very high," Buta Singh, who is on a visit here,
1106 atrocity cases were registered in 2003 while in 2009
the number was marginally down at 1082, he added.
"In Gujarat, conviction rate is very low in atrocity
cases with only six per cent cases ending in conviction in
2009," he said.
Singh also held a meeting with the state government
officials to review the implementation of Atrocity Act and
discussed issues pertaining to the scheduled castes in the
"There are a number of issues pertaining to scheduled
castes that we have discussed and I have asked the state
government officials to provide details regarding the issues,"
he told reporters here.
According to him, the main concern is `ineffective`
implementation of atrocity law which has resulted in very low
rate of conviction in the atrocity cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption
- Indian ISIS operative says he met Paris bombing accused in Iraq last year