Gujarat by-polls results ultimatum to UPA govt: Modi
New Delhi: Buoyed by the clean sweep by BJP in the by-polls in Gujarat, Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday said the results were an "ultimatum" to the UPA government while party president Rajnath Singh maintained his party will get a thumping win in the next General Elections.
Modi, who was in the national capital to attend a chief ministers` conference, told reporters, "Today the people of Gujarat have given a massive win to BJP. Congress has been badly defeated. Loss of Congress in Lok Sabha seats is message of people`s anger. This is an ultimatum to the government in Delhi."
He thanked the voters of Gujarat for BJP`s victory in by-polls to two Lok Sabha and four Assembly seats. All the six seats were held by Congress.
Later, Modi met Rajnath Singh at the latter`s residence to celebrate the impressive victory.
Emerging from his meeting with Singh, Modi said, "The people of Gujarat have given the message to the UPA government that it is time for it to go."
Singh congratulated Modi and the Gujarat BJP unit chief as well as party workers for the good performance in the bypolls.
"There is anger among the people against the UPA government for its failures. This victory shows that BJP will get a thumping win in the Lok Sabha polls," Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal