Gujarat by-polls results ultimatum to UPA govt: Modi
New Delhi: Buoyed by the clean sweep by BJP in the by-polls in Gujarat, Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday said the results were an "ultimatum" to the UPA government while party president Rajnath Singh maintained his party will get a thumping win in the next General Elections.
Modi, who was in the national capital to attend a chief ministers` conference, told reporters, "Today the people of Gujarat have given a massive win to BJP. Congress has been badly defeated. Loss of Congress in Lok Sabha seats is message of people`s anger. This is an ultimatum to the government in Delhi."
He thanked the voters of Gujarat for BJP`s victory in by-polls to two Lok Sabha and four Assembly seats. All the six seats were held by Congress.
Later, Modi met Rajnath Singh at the latter`s residence to celebrate the impressive victory.
Emerging from his meeting with Singh, Modi said, "The people of Gujarat have given the message to the UPA government that it is time for it to go."
Singh congratulated Modi and the Gujarat BJP unit chief as well as party workers for the good performance in the bypolls.
"There is anger among the people against the UPA government for its failures. This victory shows that BJP will get a thumping win in the Lok Sabha polls," Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'