Gujarat HC forms new 3-member SIT to investigate Ishrat case
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Friday
constituted a new special investigations team (SIT) comprising
three IPS officers to probe the Ishrat Jahan encounter case.
A division bench of justices Jayant Patel and
Abhilasha Kumari directed the state government to issue a
notification regarding the formation of the new SIT within two
The SIT has been asked to submit its report within
three months of the issuance of the notification.
The decision came during the hearing of a petition
filed by the father of Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh
Pillai, a suspected terrorist killed along with Ishrat,
seeking review of the high court`s earlier order transferring
the probe in the case to the Supreme Court-appointed SIT.
The SIT, probing some of the 2002 riot cases, had
earlier conveyed to the court its inability to investigate the
Ishrat Jahan encounter case.
Mumbai-based Ishrat was killed in an encounter along
with Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pillai, Amjad Ali
alias Rajkumar Akbar Ali Rana and Jisan Johar Abdul Gani by
crime branch officials near Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.
The IPS officers in new SIT selected by the court are
Karnail Singh, a 1984 batch IPS officer whose name was
suggested by the union home ministry, Mohan Jha 1985 batch
Gujarat cadre officer named by the state government and Satish
Verma of 1986 batch was suggested by the petitioner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened