Gujarat plans first-of-its-kind over the sea dam
New Delhi: In a first, Gurajat is planning
to build an over the sea dam in the northern portion of the
Gulf of Khambat (Cambay) with an investment of over Rs 50,000
The 35-kilometre dam project named Kalpasar Dam Alignment
would lead to a sweet water reservoir. Besides, it will also
have a road and rail overbridge, which will reduce the
distance between Bhavnagar and Surat by 200 kilometre.
While, the main dam help generate tidal power, the
reservoir is expected to supply water for drinking and
"The project envisages dam and road and rail overbridge
from just north of Bhavnagar in the west coast of Gulf of
Cambay to Alandar in Dahej in the east coast. Though final
cost is to be worked out in detail, it will be over Rs 50,000
crore," a senior state government official said.
The timeframe will be decided once the environmental and
other clearances come.
The Gujarat government has already set up a dedicated
department for the project -- the Kalpasar department.
"Besides creating a fresh water reservoir in the northern
portion of the Gulf of Khambat, the road and rail overbridge
will reduce the distance from Bhavnagar and Surat to 150
kilometre from the existing 350 kilometre," the official said.
Travelling between Bhavnagar in Saurashtra and Surat in
South Gujarat currently require a long detour through
The dam is also expected to take thousands of square
kilometre in the northern coast of the Gulf of Khambat out of
Coastal Zone Regulation (CZR) rules.
"This will allow development activity in a zone, which
has high salinity and also create fishing opportunity in the
envisage area," he said.
With the construction of the dam, which is 160 kilometre
from the Pipavav port, the nearby port of Bhavnagar is also
likely to be upgraded as a prime port. The Dholera Special
Investment Region lies close to the proposed dam area.
"The State Maritime Board is studying the proposal for
upgradation and expansion of the Bhavnagar port," the official
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test