Gujarat snooping case: SC to hear suspended IAS officer Pradeep Sharma`s plea
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In what may cast a shadow on BJP`s prime ministerial Narendra Modi`s run for the top post, the Supreme Court will on Monday hear the plea of suspended IAS officer Pradeep Sharma on the contentious audio tapes aired by news portals Cobrapost and Gulail featuring alleged illegal surveillance of a woman allegedly ordered by the Gujarat government.
Sharma, who is also a staunch critic of the Narendra Modi government, had urged the apex court to urgently hear his plea. According to reports, the bench comprising Chief Justice P Sathasivam, Justice Ranjana P Desai and Justice Ranjan Gogoi will hear his plea today.
Seeking the court?`s immediate intervention, Sharma?`s counsel Prashant Bhushan had told the bench that after some tapes have come to light, it is important for the court to list this matter urgently.
Bhushan also told reporters later that he will ask for an independent probe by the CBI or a special investigation team into the snooping controversy because it directly has a bearing on Sharma`s case.
“A probe will establish that the state government had taken vindictive action against Sharma because he was aware of the woman and the snooping incident,” he said.?
He said ?frivolous? cases were slapped on Sharma after he came to know about the woman and her association with the state government. In his plea, Sharma had contended, “?We have always maintained that the state police was biased and hence the investigation needs to be transferred to an independent agency. An in-depth inquiry into the audio tapes will corroborate our stand.”
The two portals have claimed that the surveillance was conducted by the Gujarat ATS in 2009 on the instructions of Amit Shah,a close aide of Gujarat CM Narendra Modi,who was then minister of state for home. The tapes were reportedly submitted by suspended IPS officer GL Singhal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai