Gujarat snooping case: SC to hear suspended IAS officer Pradeep Sharma`s plea
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In what may cast a shadow on BJP`s prime ministerial Narendra Modi`s run for the top post, the Supreme Court will on Monday hear the plea of suspended IAS officer Pradeep Sharma on the contentious audio tapes aired by news portals Cobrapost and Gulail featuring alleged illegal surveillance of a woman allegedly ordered by the Gujarat government.
Sharma, who is also a staunch critic of the Narendra Modi government, had urged the apex court to urgently hear his plea. According to reports, the bench comprising Chief Justice P Sathasivam, Justice Ranjana P Desai and Justice Ranjan Gogoi will hear his plea today.
Seeking the court?`s immediate intervention, Sharma?`s counsel Prashant Bhushan had told the bench that after some tapes have come to light, it is important for the court to list this matter urgently.
Bhushan also told reporters later that he will ask for an independent probe by the CBI or a special investigation team into the snooping controversy because it directly has a bearing on Sharma`s case.
“A probe will establish that the state government had taken vindictive action against Sharma because he was aware of the woman and the snooping incident,” he said.?
He said ?frivolous? cases were slapped on Sharma after he came to know about the woman and her association with the state government. In his plea, Sharma had contended, “?We have always maintained that the state police was biased and hence the investigation needs to be transferred to an independent agency. An in-depth inquiry into the audio tapes will corroborate our stand.”
The two portals have claimed that the surveillance was conducted by the Gujarat ATS in 2009 on the instructions of Amit Shah,a close aide of Gujarat CM Narendra Modi,who was then minister of state for home. The tapes were reportedly submitted by suspended IPS officer GL Singhal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state