Gujarat votes Modi back, Congress set to return in Himachal Pradesh
Ahmedabad/Shimla: Riding on a popularity wave, incumbent Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday appeared set for a big win in the Gujarat Election Results 2012. On the other hand, in Himachal Pradesh, the Congress looked set to snatch power from the BJP.
As per the latest trends available till 10.35 am in Gujarat, the BJP was leading in 112 seats out of the total 182, while the Congress was leading in 66. GPP was leading in 3 and Others in 1.
The BJP looks to be marching towards securing a two-third majority in the Gujarat Assembly.
Chief Minister Narendra Modi, who is leading from Maninagar against Shweta Bhatt of the Congress, had this morning tweeted: "No need of looking behind, FORWARD! We want infinite energy, infinite courage, infinite patience..."
An emphatic victory for Narendra Modi will mean that the chorus within the BJP for a bigger role in the party’s national affairs will grow.
If the BJP ends up bettering its 2007 tally of 117 seats, Modi may very well become the face of the BJP for 2014 General Elections.
In Himachal Pradesh, as per the latest trends available at 10.35 am, the Congress was ahead in 37 seats out of the total 68. The BJP was leading in 24 and Others in 7.
As the trends indicated that Congress is set to win in Himachal Pradesh, celebrations started outside CM candidate Virbhadra Singh’s residence.
The Congress veteran and former chief minister was confident his party would oust the BJP.
"We are very confident of forming a government," he told the media earlier.
BJP Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal was initially confident of retaining power but then made a cautious comment: "We did our best, and let us see who will form the government."
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal`s son Anurag Thakur said, “We will win this election and form government again. Delimitation will play an important role in this election as it is the first one to be held after delimitation.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in