Gujarat votes Modi back, Congress set to return in Himachal Pradesh
Ahmedabad/Shimla: Riding on a popularity wave, incumbent Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday appeared set for a big win in the Gujarat Election Results 2012. On the other hand, in Himachal Pradesh, the Congress looked set to snatch power from the BJP.
As per the latest trends available till 10.35 am in Gujarat, the BJP was leading in 112 seats out of the total 182, while the Congress was leading in 66. GPP was leading in 3 and Others in 1.
The BJP looks to be marching towards securing a two-third majority in the Gujarat Assembly.
Chief Minister Narendra Modi, who is leading from Maninagar against Shweta Bhatt of the Congress, had this morning tweeted: "No need of looking behind, FORWARD! We want infinite energy, infinite courage, infinite patience..."
An emphatic victory for Narendra Modi will mean that the chorus within the BJP for a bigger role in the party’s national affairs will grow.
If the BJP ends up bettering its 2007 tally of 117 seats, Modi may very well become the face of the BJP for 2014 General Elections.
In Himachal Pradesh, as per the latest trends available at 10.35 am, the Congress was ahead in 37 seats out of the total 68. The BJP was leading in 24 and Others in 7.
As the trends indicated that Congress is set to win in Himachal Pradesh, celebrations started outside CM candidate Virbhadra Singh’s residence.
The Congress veteran and former chief minister was confident his party would oust the BJP.
"We are very confident of forming a government," he told the media earlier.
BJP Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal was initially confident of retaining power but then made a cautious comment: "We did our best, and let us see who will form the government."
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal`s son Anurag Thakur said, “We will win this election and form government again. Delimitation will play an important role in this election as it is the first one to be held after delimitation.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Huge blow for Arvind Kejriwal ahead of MCD elections, AAP MLA Ved Prakash joins BJP