Gujjar quota: Rajasthan Govt invites Bainsla for talks
Jaipur: The Rajasthan government on Sunday night
invited for talks Gujjar leader Kirori Singh Bainsla, who is
demanding a five per cent quota in state jobs for his
A CMO spokesman said Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot has
invited the Gujjar leader for talks to resolve the issue and
the message has been communicated to Bainsla, who is leading a
march on the issue, through the District Collector of Karauli
Neeraj K Pawan.
Energy Minister Jitender Singh who is the government
intermediary in the matter also appealed to the marchers to
maintain peace and harmony in the state.
Earlier, amid tight security, hundreds of Gujjars led
by Bainsla began their march from Gudla village, 400 km from
here, demanding five per cent quota in state jobs for the
The Gujjars, who shouted anti-government slogans,
started their march for Hindon city, about 20 km from Gudla,
this afternoon, Karauli Superintendent of Police Mahendra
Singh Choudhary said.
The marchers halted at a college ground near Karauli
in the evening, the SP said.
Authorities made unprecedented security arrangements
with thousands of armed policemen, including RAC jawans, being
deployed on either side of the highway, he said.
Bainsla had last month decided to undertake a march
to Jaipur if the Gujjar`s demand for reservation was not met
by March 26. However, the march was postponed following
government`s invitation to hold talks.
Yesterday, while addressing a mahapanchayat at Gudla
village, Bainsla had said the deadline of April 1 for Chief
Minister Ashok Gehlot to fulfil the promise he made on quota
for Gujjars had expired.
"As the entire quota bill was stayed in the High
Court, the Gehlot government has assured to take care of the
community by reserving five per cent vacant seats for us,"
Gujjars had held a sit-in demanding five per cent
reservation for especially backward classes (Gujjars, Banjara,
Gadia Luhar, Raika and Rebari) on March 23 at Gazipur in Dausa
Nearly 70 people were killed in violent agitations in
2007-08 on the issue of quota for Gujjars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion