Gulam Nabi Azad calls on Karunanidhi
Chennai: Health Minister Gulam Nabi Azad on Thursday called on DMK chief M Karunanidhi, but said there was no discussion on alliance with the 90-year-old leader.
Azad`s meeting with Karunanidhi assumes significance as it comes nearly a month after the December 15 general council of DMK, where Karunanidhi had ruled out alliance with the former ally.
The senior Congress leader indicated that his meeting with Karunanidhi was a courtesy call when he said that it was his usual practise to call on the DMK chief every time he visits Chennai.
The Minister painted a rosy picture of DMK-Congress ties when he said that the two had been together for decades and that Congress had no `fight` with its erstwhile partner.
"Our leaders respect the leader (Karunanidhi). He respects our leaders," Azad told reporters after his over half-an-hour meeting with Karunanidhi at his CIT Colony residence here.
He evaded a direct reply when asked about Karunanidhi ruling out tie up with Congress for the coming Lok Sabha polls, insisting he had not held any discussion on alliance and that it would come up only during elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- Rio Olympics: Saina Nehwal seeded 5th, PV Sindhu 9th for the 2016 Games
- Volkswagen gets preliminary approval for US diesel settlement
- Parliament passes bill to allow kids below 14 to be engaged in 'home-based work'
- NASA discovers alien solar system with tighlty packed planets in unsusual orbits
- PMO directs Niti Aayog to work on restructuring of UGC, AICTE