Gulam Nabi Azad calls on Karunanidhi
Chennai: Health Minister Gulam Nabi Azad on Thursday called on DMK chief M Karunanidhi, but said there was no discussion on alliance with the 90-year-old leader.
Azad`s meeting with Karunanidhi assumes significance as it comes nearly a month after the December 15 general council of DMK, where Karunanidhi had ruled out alliance with the former ally.
The senior Congress leader indicated that his meeting with Karunanidhi was a courtesy call when he said that it was his usual practise to call on the DMK chief every time he visits Chennai.
The Minister painted a rosy picture of DMK-Congress ties when he said that the two had been together for decades and that Congress had no `fight` with its erstwhile partner.
"Our leaders respect the leader (Karunanidhi). He respects our leaders," Azad told reporters after his over half-an-hour meeting with Karunanidhi at his CIT Colony residence here.
He evaded a direct reply when asked about Karunanidhi ruling out tie up with Congress for the coming Lok Sabha polls, insisting he had not held any discussion on alliance and that it would come up only during elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'