Gurudas accuses Moily of defying EC directive on gas pricing
New Delhi: CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta Wednesday accused Petroleum Minister M Veerappa Moily of "openly defying" Election Commission directive and Cabinet decision by allegedly ordering notification of doubling of gas prices with retrospective effect to benefit Reliance.
In separate letters to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath, he urged them to stop the implementation of the "illegal order".
Noting that the poll panel had directed the government to defer the hike in natural gas prices from USD 4.2 to USD 8.4 per mmbtu until the end of elections, he said Moily "overruled senior officials and ordered that the increase in prices be notified on May 17 and applied retrospectively from April one," even after Petroleum Ministry officials conveyed the EC order to Reliance, Fertiliser Ministry and other stakeholders.
"This is another glaring example of the dubious role being played by the Petroleum Minister in repeatedly overruling senior officers of the (Petroleum) Ministry to give huge favours to Reliance," Dasgupta said.
He said the Minister had also violated the `Domestic Natural Gas Pricing Guidelines` approved by the Cabinet in December 2013 which stated that gas prices should be "notified in advance on a quarterly basis", thereby excluding any retrospective fixing of gas prices.
Moily`s order was "not only an open defiance of the Election Commission, it is also contrary to the decision of his own Cabinet," the senior CPI leader said.
Dasgupta urged the Prime Minister and the Election Commission "to direct the Petroleum Secretary not to implement the illegal orders of the Petroleum Minister and ensure that any retrospective increase in prices is not implemented."
"I would request that you may kindly call for the records of the Petroleum Ministry and satisfy yourself that the Petroleum Minister is blatantly violating ECI directions and the Cabinet decision in the matter," he told the Prime Minister.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!