Gurudas accuses Moily of defying EC directive on gas pricing
New Delhi: CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta Wednesday accused Petroleum Minister M Veerappa Moily of "openly defying" Election Commission directive and Cabinet decision by allegedly ordering notification of doubling of gas prices with retrospective effect to benefit Reliance.
In separate letters to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath, he urged them to stop the implementation of the "illegal order".
Noting that the poll panel had directed the government to defer the hike in natural gas prices from USD 4.2 to USD 8.4 per mmbtu until the end of elections, he said Moily "overruled senior officials and ordered that the increase in prices be notified on May 17 and applied retrospectively from April one," even after Petroleum Ministry officials conveyed the EC order to Reliance, Fertiliser Ministry and other stakeholders.
"This is another glaring example of the dubious role being played by the Petroleum Minister in repeatedly overruling senior officers of the (Petroleum) Ministry to give huge favours to Reliance," Dasgupta said.
He said the Minister had also violated the `Domestic Natural Gas Pricing Guidelines` approved by the Cabinet in December 2013 which stated that gas prices should be "notified in advance on a quarterly basis", thereby excluding any retrospective fixing of gas prices.
Moily`s order was "not only an open defiance of the Election Commission, it is also contrary to the decision of his own Cabinet," the senior CPI leader said.
Dasgupta urged the Prime Minister and the Election Commission "to direct the Petroleum Secretary not to implement the illegal orders of the Petroleum Minister and ensure that any retrospective increase in prices is not implemented."
"I would request that you may kindly call for the records of the Petroleum Ministry and satisfy yourself that the Petroleum Minister is blatantly violating ECI directions and the Cabinet decision in the matter," he told the Prime Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO