Guv should not get involved in political controversies: Naidu
Bangalore: As Karnataka Governor H R
Bhardwaj`s action summoning three ministers on a
disqualification petition sparked off a debate, senior BJP
leader Venkaiah Naidu today said the governor should act as
the state`s guardian and not get involved in political
"The governor should act as the guardian of the state and
guide the government and help the state and not get involved
in political controversies," he told reporters here.
Naidu was reacting to reports of Bhardwaj coming down
heavily on Infrastructure Minister and mining magnate G
Janardhana Reddy who questioned his constitutional authority
to summon him and two other colleagues on a petition filed by
a Congress MLA seeking their disqualification on grounds of
conflict of interest.
"The governor cannot become a judge. If there is
something wrong, the judiciary is there," he said referring to
the Governor summoning ministers and holding a "court-like
Early this week, the Governor began proceedings on the
petition by summoning Janardhana, his brother and Revenue
Minister G Karunakara Reddy and Health Minister B Sreeramulu,
seeking their legal assistance on the petition.
The petition alleged the three were indulging in illegal
mining and their continuing in the Cabinet would influence
decisions in favour of their business activities.
On the sting operation in which Sri Rama Sene leader
Pramod Muthalik and his aides were allegedly caught on camera
accepting money to stage riots, Naidu said BJP did not approve
of Sene`s methods and believed law would take its own course.
"The BJP and RSS have nothing to do with the Ram Sene. We
do not approve of the methods used by the Ram Sene. We have no
sympathy towards the Ram Sene," he said, adding "The law will
take its own course".
Naidu said that in the last elections in fact the Sene
had negatively impacted the BJP with "all the wrong publicity
surrounding it and some misinformation" that went around.
He demanded a uniform policy while dealing with such
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed