Habitations with 100 plus tribal population to get roads
New Delhi: All habitations with a population of 100 tribals and above in 82 Naxal-hit districts will now be connected with all-weather roads under government`s flagship programme PMGSY, with the Union Cabinet on Thursday giving nod to a proposal.
At present, the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY), envisages connecting all habitations with a population of 250 persons and above in tribal areas in Naxal-affected districts.
The Rural Development Ministry`s proposal came after Tribal Affairs Minister Kishore Chandra Deo pointed out that bulk of the habitations in tribal areas are below the 250-mark.
"Right now all habitations over 250 population have been taken up. But in most tribal areas, the density of population is very, very low. Large number of habitations but smaller number of population," Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh had said.
Government is giving utmost priority to provide road connectivity to tribal districts in the country as most of these areas are affected by Naxal violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy