Habitations with 100 plus tribal population to get roads
New Delhi: All habitations with a population of 100 tribals and above in 82 Naxal-hit districts will now be connected with all-weather roads under government`s flagship programme PMGSY, with the Union Cabinet on Thursday giving nod to a proposal.
At present, the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY), envisages connecting all habitations with a population of 250 persons and above in tribal areas in Naxal-affected districts.
The Rural Development Ministry`s proposal came after Tribal Affairs Minister Kishore Chandra Deo pointed out that bulk of the habitations in tribal areas are below the 250-mark.
"Right now all habitations over 250 population have been taken up. But in most tribal areas, the density of population is very, very low. Large number of habitations but smaller number of population," Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh had said.
Government is giving utmost priority to provide road connectivity to tribal districts in the country as most of these areas are affected by Naxal violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai