Hackers attack businesses in Oz to protest attacks on Indians
Melbourne: Hackers have reportedly attacked
businesses in the city to protest against the recent attacks
on Indian community here, a media report claimed on Thursday.
"It is believed computers belonging to at least five
Melbourne businesses have been stripped of their data by a
hacker who threatens to attack more companies if the violence
continues," according to the ABC report.
One Melbourne construction company has said it lost all
its data and had to pay ASD 120,000 to repair its computer
Mark Gregory, a lecturer in internet security at the
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology University, said it
was unusual, but not surprising, to see cyber hackers spurred
by revenge rather than financial gain.
"The motivation here appears to be something that is
very topical and in the news at the moment and to suggest that
there wouldn`t be groups that would use the internet for this
type of action would be wrong," he said.
Gregory told ABC Radio that it is imperative that
organisations do not leave themselves open to such an attack.
"Once people have worked out how to make this type of
attack, they can automate it," he said.
"So they can then attack a large number of companies in
a very short space of time."
"I wouldn`t be surprised if this is the tip of the
iceberg that you`re hearing about," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video