Had warned Bihar govt on mid-day meal scheme, says Centre
The Centre said on Thursday that they had warned the Bihar government over problems in the mid-day meal scheme.
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Even as the Bihar government is still to overcome the shock of death of 23 children after consuming food in school, the Centre said on Thursday that they had warned the state government over problems in the mid-day meal scheme.
Union HRD Minister M M Pallam Raju said that warnings were issued to 12 Bihar districts including Saran where the tragedy occurred after some shortcomings in the implementation of the programme were identified.
"We had alerted the Bihar government quite a few months back about shortcomings in its food storage," Pallam Raju said.
He also indicated that the Nitish Kumar government had failed in ensuring hygienic mid day meals for students in schools.
"We are setting up a central committee to look into the aspects of quality, hygiene and food storage across the country," he added.
Bihar govt denies Centre`s claims
Meanwhile, the Bihar govt today denied denied receiving any alert from the Centre over shortcomings in its implementation and insisted that the food was `poisonous`.
"No such alert was issued to us. In the meeting of project approval board, a study by AN Sinha Institute of Social Science and Jamia Milia University had pointed out that in many places standard of hygiene was not maintained on which the government acted promptly," Principal Secretary Education Amarjeet Sinha told reporters.
Accompanied by Director, Midday meal programme, R Lakshamanan, Sinha said based on the studies, the state government in April held a training for principals and cooks to the maintain standard of cleanness in food for the scheme.
Sinha repeated the remarks of Education Minister P K Shahi yesterday that the food was poisonous as confirmed by presence of organic phosphorous.
The case seemed to be one of poisoning of food and not food poisoning, he stressed.
"Insecticide was mixed in large quantity in the oil used for cooking food or it seems that the food was cooked in the insecticide," Sinha said.
The presence of organic phosphorous was clinically confirmed by doctors, he said.
"The report of the laboratory test of the food is expected tomorrow which will give a final verdict over the issue," he added.
With PTI inputs