Half of Indians to get UI nos in 5 & a half yrs: Nilekani
Patna: About half of the country`s total
population will get their Unique Identification numbers within
the next five and half years, Chairman of Unique Identification
Authority of India (UIDAI), Nandan Nilekani said on Tuesday.
The number of the people who would get the numbers would
be over 600 million, Nilekani told reporters here.
To a question, the co-founder of INFOSYSY said the
authority would begin providing the 16-digit number to the
people of Bihar in the next 18 months.
Expressing satisfaction over Bihar`s progress in
Information Technology and lauding schemes like E-shakti, he
said "it is a good sign that the state government is giving
due importance to biometric projects."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH