Hamid Ansari sworn in as 14th Vice President
New Delhi: Hamid Ansari was on Saturday sworn in as the 14th Vice President of India, at a ceremony held at Rashtrapati Bhawan here. This is Ansari’s second consecutive term as Vice President.
Ansari was administered the oath of office by President Pranab Mukherjee at a function attended by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and several Union Cabinet ministers, United Progressive Alliance (UPA) partners and leaders from other political parties.
In the recently held Vice Presidential election, UPA candidate Ansari had defeated NDA nominee Jaswant Singh by 238 votes. Ansari, 75, polled 490 first preference votes out of 728 valid votes cast in the election. Jaswant Singh polled 238 votes.
Observers feel that presidential and vice-presidential elections have provided the Congress an opportunity to improve its ties with its allies in the UPA and forge better understanding with outside supporters of the government.
Ansari got more votes than he had secured in the 2007 election. He had the backing of the Congress and its allies in the UPA, including the Nationalist Congress Party, DMK and the National Conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you