`Hampi Exp mishap as driver jumped signal`
New Delhi: The train accident in Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh occurred as the Bangalore-bound Hampi Express jumped the signal at Penukonda station, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Tuesday.
Minister of State for Railways Bharatsinh Solanki said that as per preliminary information, the incident occurred when a stationary goods train was hit from behind by the incoming Hampi Express.
As a result, two coaches of the passenger train derailed and the first derailed coach caught fire.
He said that an ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh each to the next of kin of deceased, Rs 1 lakh to the grievously injured and Rs 50,000 to those who sustained simple injury has been announced.
While some members from the Left demanded job to the next of kin of those who lost their lives in the accident, Basvaraj Patil Sedam (BJP) demanded legal action against those responsible for the accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan