Hang Afzal Guru, demands widow of Parl attack victim
Sonepat: On the eve of 11th anniversary of the 2001 Parliament attack, the widow of one of the security personnel killed in the strike appealed to the government to carry out death sentence on Afzal Guru, jailed for his role as one of the masterminds in the conspiracy.
Delhi Police Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) Nanak Chand lost his life in the attack and was posthumously conferred with a bravery award in recognition of his sacrifice.
His wife Gangadevi, however, said his family members had returned that medal to the government to press for Guru`s execution.
President of All-India Anti-Terrorism Front, Maninderjit Singh Bitta also demanded that Guru should be executed.
Gangadevi appealed to President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to respect the wishes of the family members of the martyred security personnel who wanted justice to be done in the case.
She said that the late ASI`s father, 80-year-old Mangeram, himself a retired police constable, was living with the hope that the government would do justice to his son and his surviving family members.
Afzal Guru was sentenced to death on December 18, 2002, by a trial court, which was upheld by the Delhi High Court on October 29, 2003.
His appeal was rejected by the Supreme Court on August 4, 2005. His mercy plea is pending and Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde has said he will study the file after Parliament`s winter session ends on December 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked