Hang guilty in 30 days: Sushma Swaraj
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj on Wednesday demanded that the Delhi gang-rape case should be tried in a fast-track court and come to a conclusion in a month.
“This case should be held in fast track court and come to decision to hang the guilty in 30 days,” Swaraj was reported as saying.
Swaraj, the Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha, further said that instead of promising action Congress president Sonia Gandhi should act.
“Headline should read Sushma demands action, Sonia Gandhi promises action,” Swaraj said.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar also stressed on the need to have a strict law. “Such incidents put a question mark on our society,” the Speaker said.
Meanwhile, women MPs belonging to the BJP-led NDA staged a protest inside the premises of the Parliament today to raise the issue of safety of the feminine gender in the national capital.
The women Parliamentarians stood in front of Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi`s statue here holding banners in their hands.
Both Houses of Parliament had earlier on Tuesday expressed shock and outrage over the incident.
In a statement in the Rajya Sabha, Home Minister Shinde said he would ask for the case to be fast-tracked with daily court hearings and announced a special committee to come up with guidelines to offer better protection for women.
"More policemen would patrol the roads at night," he said.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit has also urged the Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court to open five special fast track courts for cases of rape and assault against women.
Four of the six men who allegedly raped the student have been arrested. One, the driver of the bus in which she was gang-raped and tortured, has been remanded to police custody for five days as the cops attempt to arrest the two men who are still absconding.
The National Human Rights Commission has also issued notices to Home Ministry and Delhi Police and sought a report on the incident within two weeks.
(With ANI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre