Hang me if I am guilty: Narendra Modi
Ahmedabad: In his first ever interview to an Urdu daily, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has talked about the post-Godhra riots and said that he be hanged if found guilty.
"Hang me if I am guilty (Main gunehgaar hoon toh mujhe phaansi par latkaa do)," Modi said in an interview conducted by, editor of Nai Duniya.
Former Rajya Sabha member Siddiqui is also a well known Samajwadi Party leader. The cover-page candid interview runs into six pages and covers issues like state of Muslims in Gujarat, post-Godhra riots and other sensitive issues.
Siddiqui said he decided to interview the Gujarat Chief Minister after a meeting in Mumbai with known Modi critics Mahesh Bhatt and Salim Khan. The duo suggested that dialogue can be a way to resolve issue, following which Siddiqui sent a request to Modi’s office.
Siddiqui says he was not sure whether Modi would agree for the interview and that too with a precondition that he would have to answer all questions – Modi had once walked out of an interview when asked about post-Godhra riots.
But to his surprise, Modi agreed to discuss all issues with him.
The Samajwadi Party leader – who had stints with Congress and BSP in the past – said that no political motive should be seen behind the interview.
"This has nothing to do with SP or Netaji. I am a journalist first then a member of a political party," Siddiqui was quoted as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi