Hang me if I am guilty: Narendra Modi
Ahmedabad: In his first ever interview to an Urdu daily, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has talked about the post-Godhra riots and said that he be hanged if found guilty.
"Hang me if I am guilty (Main gunehgaar hoon toh mujhe phaansi par latkaa do)," Modi said in an interview conducted by, editor of Nai Duniya.
Former Rajya Sabha member Siddiqui is also a well known Samajwadi Party leader. The cover-page candid interview runs into six pages and covers issues like state of Muslims in Gujarat, post-Godhra riots and other sensitive issues.
Siddiqui said he decided to interview the Gujarat Chief Minister after a meeting in Mumbai with known Modi critics Mahesh Bhatt and Salim Khan. The duo suggested that dialogue can be a way to resolve issue, following which Siddiqui sent a request to Modi’s office.
Siddiqui says he was not sure whether Modi would agree for the interview and that too with a precondition that he would have to answer all questions – Modi had once walked out of an interview when asked about post-Godhra riots.
But to his surprise, Modi agreed to discuss all issues with him.
The Samajwadi Party leader – who had stints with Congress and BSP in the past – said that no political motive should be seen behind the interview.
"This has nothing to do with SP or Netaji. I am a journalist first then a member of a political party," Siddiqui was quoted as saying.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way