Harper pays obeisance at Takht Keshgarh Sahib
Anandpur Sahib: Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his wife Laureen paid obeisance here at Takht Keshgarh Sahib and visited the prestigious Virasat-e-Khalsa, also known as Khalsa Heritage Centre.
The visiting Canadian Prime Minister led a high powered 32-member delegation including two ministers Tim Uppal and Baljit Singh Gosal besides eminent personalities from different walks of life, especially the Punjabi diaspora settled in Canada.
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal accompanied Harper and his wife during their visit to Takht Sri Keshgarh Sahib and the Virasat-e-Khalsa complex.
Harper evinced keen interest in the Virasat-e-Khalsa and lauded the efforts of the state government for this unique memorial showcasing Sikh history spanning over 500 years in a captivating manner.
The Chief Minister honoured Harper with a painting of Sri Harmandir Sahib, a shawl and a sword.
The Canadian Prime Minister and his wife were presented robe of honour (siropa) and shawl) at the sanctum sanctorum by Jathedar Takht Sri Keshgarh Sahib Giani Tarlochan Singh in the presence of Chief Minister.
Secretary Shiromani Gurdwara Prabhandak Committee (SGPC) Dalmegh Singh presented a set of Sikh Encyclopedia, a sword, a siropa and a shawl to Harper and his wife.
Harper described his visit to Takht Sri Keshgarh Sahib as a "wonderful experience" after his previous visit to Sri Harmandir Sahib in Amritsar in 2009.
He said his current visit to India would help in meeting the challenges before both the countries in the near future.
During the high profile visit, the Sikh shrine and the heritage complex were closed for general public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees