Hasan Ali case: Indian envoy to be quizzed
Mumbai: Police is likely to summon
India`s Ambassador to Panama Vishnu Hade for questioning after
his name surfaced in the fake passport case involving Pune-
based stud farm owner Hasan Ali Khan.
"We are likely to summon Hade. As his name surfaced
during the probe, we would either question him or just record
his statement in the case. We will soon take call on what
needs to be done," said Vineet Agarwal, Additional Police
Commissioner (Central Region).
Khan, currently lodged in Arthur Road Jail after
being arrested for tax evasion, had been apprehended by the
city police in December 2008 for allegedly procuring a
passport by submitting fake documents.
The Pune businessman was charged with forgery and
cheating and later released on bail.
During the probe, a Regional Passport Officer was
questioned who revealed that Khan`s passport was cleared on a
priority basis after he received a call from Hade, police
Hade was associated with Mumbai`s Passport Office when
Khan was issued the passport.
According to police, Khan had lost his original
passport, issued by the Hyderabad`s Regional Passport Office
in 2006, when he was in England.
Subsequently, he was given a fresh passport valid for
a year by the Indian High Commission`s office in England,
using which he went to Switzerland and Canada, police added.
Later, Khan applied for a new passport in Pune.
However, the police found that the billionaire had two other
passports procured by submitting fake documents, one issued in
Mumbai and the other in Patna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets