Hasan Ali gets bail
Mumbai: The Mumbai High Court on Friday granted bail to Pune stud farm owner Hasan Ali Khan, arrested in March for alleged involvement in multi-crore money laundering scam, observing that there is nothing in Enforcement Directorate`s
case to show that the money amassed by him are proceeds of crime.
"There are no ingredients of proceeds of crime in the case made out by the Enforcement Directorate against Hasan. He deserves to be released on bail," Justice AM Thipsay observed while granting bail to 53-year-old Khan on a surety
of Rs five lakh.
Khan was arrested by ED and booked under the provisions of Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).
The court, however, directed him to appear before ED everyday and stay either in Mumbai or Pune.
Additional Solicitor General Darius Khambata, appearing for ED, requested the court to stay the bail order for a week to enable the agency to appeal against the
judgement in the Supreme Court.
Justice Thipsay, however, turned down the plea saying, "There is no apprehension that he (Hasan) would abscond or tamper with evidence. Hence there is no necessity to stay the bail order."
The court had earlier said that ED should find out if the money allegedly amassed by Khan are proceeds of crime.
"There cannot be a presumption on this," the court had said.
Khan`s lawyer IA Bagaria had argued that he had been falsely implicated in the case. He had contended that Khan had no links with international arms dealer Adnan Kashoggi and had no accounts in foreign banks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Munich gunman 'deranged', had no links to Islamic State: Police
- New protein helps scientists understand Alzheimer's disease
- Munich shooting had `obvious link` to Breivik: Police
- Ranveer Singh and Karan Johar to work together! Details inside
- After Gujarat, two Bihar Dalit youths thrashed, urinated upon: Watch shocking video