Hasan Ali produced before court, claims innocence
Mumbai: Pune-based stud farm owner Hasan Ali
Khan, arrested in connection with alleged massive money
laundering, was on Tuesday produced before a court which remanded
him in Enforcement Directorate`s (ED) custody for a day.
Principal Sessions Court Judge M L Tahaliyani Khan
before whom 53-year-old Khan was produced this afternoon
adjourned the proceedings till tomorrow following differences
over the issue of his jurisdiction. Khan was arrested by ED
sleuths around midnight last night under the Prevention of
Money Laundering Act.
Khan told waiting reporters while he was being taken to
court that he was "innocent."
"I am innocent...They are just putting me in trouble. I
don`t understand why," he said.
As soon as the court proceedings began, Tahaliyani
raised the issue of jurisdiction, saying the matter should
have been brought before a magistrate.
Public Prosecutor N Punde said under the Prevention of
Money Laundering Act, a special court was empowered to conduct
the proceedings and hence he had the jurisdiction.
Defence counsel I P Bagadia too concurred with this
view, but the Principal Judge adjourned the hearing till
tomorrow after handing over Khan`s remand to the ED. He will
take a view on the issue of jurisdiction to hear the case
Khan, who is also a real estate consultant, earlier in
the day pleaded his innocence and filed an application through
his counsel who said he wanted to retract his confessions made
before ED investigators yesterday. Details of his confessions
were not known immediately.
Khan, accused of stashing huge sums of black money in
foreign banks including USD 8 billion in UBS in Switzerland,
was arrested after prolonged searches at his Pune and Mumbai
residences and sustained grilling for several hours.
He was taken to the state-run JJ hospital for a routine
medical check-up at around 7 am just hours after his arrest
and all medical tests conducted on him showed he was in normal
After the series of medical tests that lasted over four
hours, doctors have advised the investigators to take Khan
"Cardiology and nephrology tests were conducted on the
patient. Surgical examination for the abdominal pain was also
conducted after which it was found that Ali is fine," T P
Lahane, Dean of the hospital, told PTI.
"After the tests that lasted for over four hours, it
was found that all the parameters, blood pressure and ECG of
Ali are normal. We have advised the officials to take him
back" Lahane said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference