Hashimpura case: Swamy`s plea against Chidambaram dismissed
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Friday dismissed Janata Party President Subramanian Swamy`s plea for investigation to ascertain the alleged role of Finance Minister P Chidambaram in the 1987 Hashimpura massacre in Uttar Pradesh.
Sixteen PAC personnel are facing trial for allegedly killing 42 persons in Hashimpura area of UP`s Meerut district.
Additional Sessions Judge Rakesh Siddhartha dismissed Swamy`s plea claiming that these PAC personnel had merely executed the orders of a senior person and the alleged role of Chidambaram, who was the Union Minister of State for Internal Security between 1986 and 1989, should be probed.
Special Public Prosecutor Satish Tamta had opposed the application during earlier hearings, saying there was no ground for making any such allegations.
Rebecca John, counsel for the victims of Hashimpura massacre, had also opposed Swamy`s plea, contending that the allegations levelled by him were nothing beyond insinuations.
The victims had also told the court that they had waited so long for justice and any plea for further probe would cause more delay.
The Supreme Court had transferred the case to Delhi in September 2002 following a petition by the families of the massacre victims and survivors.
A sessions court here in July 2006 had framed charges of murder, attempt to murder, tampering with evidence and conspiracy against all the accused. Three accused PAC personnel have died during the trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof