Hate speech case: Charges framed against Varun Gandhi
New Delhi: BJP Member of Parliament (MP) from Pilibhit Varun Gandhi will face trial in Uttar Pradesh for alleged provocative speeches made by him in 2009 while campaigning in his constituency.
The BJP leader Friday appeared in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Abdul Qayum where police had filed chargesheet in the case lodged at Sadar Kotwali Police Station.
The court fixed December 10 and 11 as the next date of hearing.
Varun Gandhi, great-grandson of the country`s first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru, won the Lok Sabha election from the Pilibhit seat.
The young BJP leader has been accused by then chief minister Mayawati and her government of promoting enmity between groups on the grounds of religion.
After the framing of charges against him, over a dozen witnesses will testify against him in the Pilibhit court.
Varun Gandhi had reportedly made inflammatory remarks against Muslims in Pilibhit in the run-up to the 2009 Lok Sabha elections.
Varun was booked under various sections of the Indian Penal Code and the People`s Representative Act for "promoting enmity" and acts "prejudicial to maintenance of harmony",
However, he strongly denied the charges.
Varun Gandhi also strongly denied that he made any communal or divisive statements and termed it a "vicious attempt" to malign him.
"I strongly refute the charge of making any communal or divisive statements as part of my election campaign. In this climate of terrorism, I have spoken only about standing firm against anti-national and anti-social forces that threaten this nation," Varun Gandhi said in a statement.
The BJP leader also claimed that in one instance he was referring to bad elements and in the second one, the tapes have been doctored.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt