Have extra troops on Indian border: Pak envoy in UK
London: Pakistan has sent extra troops to its border with India due to rising tensions, the country`s High Commissioner to the UK Wajid Shamsul Hasan has said, adding Islamabad had been "unsettled" by pressure on its eastern border.
Hasan told a London-based newspaper that assertiveness by New Delhi was sapping his country`s ability to fight Pakistani Taliban militants.
"He (Hasan) said Islamabad had been unsettled by pressure on its eastern border created by the building of military cantonments close to the sensitive frontier over the past year," the newspaper reported.
According to Pakistan`s top officials, rising tensions with India allegedly prevented it from expanding its military campaign against Taliban militants on its western border, it said.
"The government had to send some troops down there because we don`t want to leave ourselves exposed," Hasan said.
"This is taking away from our defence capabilities on the Afghan border. We really wish the international community would intervene, but nobody has said anything to the Indians," he said.
The report quoted Pakistani officials as saying that the number of troops the army had deployed was `modest` and declined to give details, but added that "the reinforcements are estimated to be in the hundreds".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- LeEco Le 2, Le Max2 second flash sale on July 5; registrations open
- Opal-studded meteorite points towards evolution of water on Earth!
- 'Rock On 2': Arjun Rampal clears air about spat with Purab Kohli, says it's 'fake news'!
- Despite ban, 15 alcohol factories still active in Bihar?
- 7th Pay Commission: How it will benefit central govt employees and pensioners!