Have "open mind" on VP poll candidate: Trinamool
New Delhi: Key UPA ally Trinamool Congress on Saturday said it has an "open mind" on the issue of Vice Presidential poll nominee, ahead of a meeting of the ruling alliance to decide the issue.
Railways Minister Mukul Roy, who will be representing TMC in the UPA meeting today, said, "I am going with an open mind...I do not have any agenda."
He denied having any proposal or name to be put forth for the post of Vice President at today`s meeting and said whatever will be discussed will be communicated to the party leadership for taking a final decision in this regard. He also made it clear that he was not competent to decide on the issue.
Roy`s remarks came in the backdrop of reports that TMC would propose the name of former West Bengal Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi for VP post.
"No name has been proposed to us nor am I having any name for the post of Vice President. Whatever will be communicated to me or discussed in the meeting, I will communicate to my party leadership. The party will decide on the subject. I am not competent to decide. Accordingly, we will convey," Roy told reporters.
Roy denied carrying any letter from TMC leader Mamata
Bannerjee on the issue. He also said the chapter of the party`s stand on the President poll candidature was over.
On whether the party will extend its support to UPA Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee, the Railway Minister said "the party`s decision will be conveyed to all MLAs and MPs well before the election."
Sources close to him, however, hinted there was a provision on the right to not voting also.
The UPA will meet here today to finalize its candidate for the post of Vice President. The formal decision on giving a second term to incumbent Hamid Ansari as UPA`s candidate, which Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had mentioned to various non-UPA leaders when seeking support, will be taken at the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video