Havn’t rejected any name for Prez: Samajwadi Party
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party (SP) Thursday said it has not rejected any name for the post of president and consultations were on.
"We have not rejected any name. Consultation is going on and we have to have a consensus on one name because there can be only one president," Samajwadi Party leader Shahid Siddiqui told a news channel.
Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, after meeting Congress president Sonia Gandhi Wednesday evening, had revealed that Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee was the first choice of the Congress for the presidency and Vice President Hamid Ansari was the second.
Banerjee and SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav later met Wednesday evening and stunned everyone by announcing three new names, of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam and former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee as their choices for the presidency.
Trinamool MP Kunal Ghosh Thursday said there would be a contest if the Congress goes ahead with the name of Mukherjee.
"Today, I can visualize a contest if Congress goes ahead with either Pranab babu or Hamid Ansari. Mamata Banerjee, our chief, and Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh, they may go with A.P.J. Abdul Kalam," Ghosh told a news channel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!