Havn’t rejected any name for Prez: Samajwadi Party
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party (SP) Thursday said it has not rejected any name for the post of president and consultations were on.
"We have not rejected any name. Consultation is going on and we have to have a consensus on one name because there can be only one president," Samajwadi Party leader Shahid Siddiqui told a news channel.
Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, after meeting Congress president Sonia Gandhi Wednesday evening, had revealed that Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee was the first choice of the Congress for the presidency and Vice President Hamid Ansari was the second.
Banerjee and SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav later met Wednesday evening and stunned everyone by announcing three new names, of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam and former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee as their choices for the presidency.
Trinamool MP Kunal Ghosh Thursday said there would be a contest if the Congress goes ahead with the name of Mukherjee.
"Today, I can visualize a contest if Congress goes ahead with either Pranab babu or Hamid Ansari. Mamata Banerjee, our chief, and Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh, they may go with A.P.J. Abdul Kalam," Ghosh told a news channel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?