Hawala case: Geelani`s aide in Delhi Police custody
Srinagar: The Delhi Police on Tuesday took custody of Ghulam Mohammad Bhat, a close associate of Hurriyat hawk Syed Ali Shah Geelani, who was arrested last week in connection with an alleged hawala racket.
Bhat was handed over to the Delhi Police after he was discharged from a hospital in Soura, officials said.
He was hospitalised after he received injuries in a scuffle between police and his family who tried to resist his arrest.
The Delhi Police had obtained a three-day transit remand for Bhat, who was arrested last Saturday, from a court here.
He is likely to be questioned by the Delhi Police, which provided inputs leading to his arrest, in the national capital Rs 21.20 lakh were recovered from the possession of the Geelani aide, who headed the legal cell of the hardline Hurriyat Conference, when he was apprehended.
He was earlier arrested in 2008 in Udhampur district while returning to Kashmir Valley.
Rs 55 lakh, alleged to be the hawala money concealed in a gas cylinder, were seized from him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur