Hawala trail: Geelani stopped from going to Srinagar
New Delhi: Kashmiri separatist leader Syed
Ali Shah Geelani, facing probe in a hawala case, was Tuesday
stopped by Delhi Police from going to Srinagar after he tried
to leave the city despite a notice by police against him.
The Delhi Police had served the notice to Geelani asking
him not to leave the capital but he allegedly proceeded this
morning for the airport to catch a flight to Srinagar.
Geelani, who had been given the notice last month, was served
a fresh notice last night.
On the way, he was stopped by the police and was taken
to Lodhi Road police station for questioning, official sources
"He has been called in to join investigations related to
Hawala case. Our investigating officials questioned him over
the matter," P N Aggarwal, Special Commissioner of Police
(Special Cell), said.
The recently-unearthed hawala trail in the Kashmir
Valley has put the spotlight on some senior leaders of the
Hurriyat conference following which the head of the hardline
faction of the separatist grouping, Geelani was asked not
to leave Delhi so that he could be questioned.
Spokesman of hardline faction of Hurriyat Conference
Ayaz Akbar had alleged if Geelani was being implicated in the
hawala case it would be construed as an attempt to defame the
movement in Kashmir.
Delhi and Jammu and Kashmir police had recently arrested
one of Geelani`s close aides Ghulam Mohammed Bhat for
allegedly receiving hawala money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal