Hazare intensifies agitation over Lokpall Bill
Mumbai: Pressing for introduction of the
Lokpal Bill in Parliament, social activist Anna Hazare on Sunday initiated a fresh protest against corruption here.
"I would not return to Maharashtra until the Lokpal Bill
is passed," said Hazare, who has announced an indefinite
hunger-strike in New Delhi from April 5.
"There is a need for a stringent act to deal with
corruption cases. Today, no government official or politician
is afraid of law, because they know they will not be
prosecuted," Hazare said at a rally here.
He said the Lokpal Bill would punish the culprits
severely for corruption.
Hazare has announced hunger-strike in New Delhi for a
stronger Lokpal Bill, as the Centre has refused to heed
people`s suggestions with regard to its provisions.
Comparing the government`s draft of the bill, and the
`Jan Lokpal Bill` prepared by social activists, he said the
government`s draft defeated the purpose of the legislation.
"In the Jan Lokpal Bill that we have drafted, if
corruption comes to light through a Right to Information
query, the person will have to be jailed immediately. The
investigation would take place later," he said.
Hazare also appealed to people to support the Jan Lokpal
Bill, and launch movements in their respective towns and
villages to put pressure on the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what