Hazare intensifies agitation over Lokpall Bill
Mumbai: Pressing for introduction of the
Lokpal Bill in Parliament, social activist Anna Hazare on Sunday initiated a fresh protest against corruption here.
"I would not return to Maharashtra until the Lokpal Bill
is passed," said Hazare, who has announced an indefinite
hunger-strike in New Delhi from April 5.
"There is a need for a stringent act to deal with
corruption cases. Today, no government official or politician
is afraid of law, because they know they will not be
prosecuted," Hazare said at a rally here.
He said the Lokpal Bill would punish the culprits
severely for corruption.
Hazare has announced hunger-strike in New Delhi for a
stronger Lokpal Bill, as the Centre has refused to heed
people`s suggestions with regard to its provisions.
Comparing the government`s draft of the bill, and the
`Jan Lokpal Bill` prepared by social activists, he said the
government`s draft defeated the purpose of the legislation.
"In the Jan Lokpal Bill that we have drafted, if
corruption comes to light through a Right to Information
query, the person will have to be jailed immediately. The
investigation would take place later," he said.
Hazare also appealed to people to support the Jan Lokpal
Bill, and launch movements in their respective towns and
villages to put pressure on the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble