Hazare intensifies agitation over Lokpall Bill
Mumbai: Pressing for introduction of the
Lokpal Bill in Parliament, social activist Anna Hazare on Sunday initiated a fresh protest against corruption here.
"I would not return to Maharashtra until the Lokpal Bill
is passed," said Hazare, who has announced an indefinite
hunger-strike in New Delhi from April 5.
"There is a need for a stringent act to deal with
corruption cases. Today, no government official or politician
is afraid of law, because they know they will not be
prosecuted," Hazare said at a rally here.
He said the Lokpal Bill would punish the culprits
severely for corruption.
Hazare has announced hunger-strike in New Delhi for a
stronger Lokpal Bill, as the Centre has refused to heed
people`s suggestions with regard to its provisions.
Comparing the government`s draft of the bill, and the
`Jan Lokpal Bill` prepared by social activists, he said the
government`s draft defeated the purpose of the legislation.
"In the Jan Lokpal Bill that we have drafted, if
corruption comes to light through a Right to Information
query, the person will have to be jailed immediately. The
investigation would take place later," he said.
Hazare also appealed to people to support the Jan Lokpal
Bill, and launch movements in their respective towns and
villages to put pressure on the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem