Hazare to begin agitation if Lokpal bill not tabled by Aug 15
Ahmedabad: Social activist Anna Hazare on Thursday
warned the Union government that he would once again launch an
agitation if the Jan Lokpal Bill is not tabled in Parliament
by August 15.
"If the government does not bring the bill in the monsoon
session of Parliament, we will begin our agitation again from
Jantar Mantar in Delhi from August 15," he said, speaking at a
public meeting here.
Earlier in the day, Arvind Kejriwal, who is also a member
of the Lokpall bill drafting committee, had expressed
apprehensions about the drafting of the Jan Lokpal Bill being
completed by June 30 as many of the core issues are yet to be
agreed upon by the Union government.
"We want the Prime Minister and the judiciary under the
ambit of the Lokpal Bill. We also want the anti-corruption
bureaus, CBI and vigilance department under it," Kejriwal
said, adding that the government did not agree to it.
"There was also fear expressed by some that the Bill
would be like a Frankenstein`s monster. But we have proposed
checks and balances to prevent misuse," he added.
Meanwhile, Swami Agnivesh criticised Gujarat Chief
Minister Narendra Modi saying that he would like to prosecute
him in court for the corruption in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez