‘Hazare`s movement humbug, politically motivated’
Mumbai: Anna Hazare has come under sharp attack from some civil society members including a retired judge who dubbed his anti-corruption movement "a humbug" and "completely politically-motivated."
Retired Bombay High Court judge Justice (retd) Suresh Hosbet said it is wrong to credit Hazare for drawing people`s attention towards corruption while reformist writer and activist Asghar Ali Engineer alleged his movement is only aimed at attacking Congress.
"The movement is a humbug and is completely politically-motivated," said Justice Suresh.
Instead, Hazare should enter politics and fight for eradicating corruption, he said after releasing the book "Anna Hazare Upsurge: A Critical Appraisal" on Tuesday.
The book is a compilation of `critical` articles on Hazare during his agitation for Lokpal Bill last year.
"Corruption is not something that has come just now. Anna`s movement is politically coloured. They (Team Anna) are not part of politics and therefore they should enter it," the judge said.
He also questioned Hazare`s demand for passing "his version" of Lokpal in Parliament. "How in a democracy can one say that my Bill should be passed and that too without any changes?" he asked.
Engineer, who authored the book, alleged that Hazare`s movement is "RSS sponsored" and that it is only aimed at attacking Congress.
"There is so much corruption in the BJP," he alleged and added "But they do not speak a word on it. It seems that the whole movement is against Congress."
Engineer also alleged that in Hazare`s Ralegan Siddhi village, the dalits were made to live outside the village.
He also questioned Hazare`s credentials as a Gandhian.
"The media wrongly calls him a Gandhian. He is known to not just advocate violence but even practice it to get alcoholics shun alcoholism," he said, adding, "There is no place for violence in Gandhian principles."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch