Hazare`s protest site not free from VIP culture
New Delhi: Anna Hazare`s movement might have
been branded as that of corruption versus the common man, but
even his protest site has not been free from the VIP culture.
The Ramlila Maidan was a picture of chaos, with crowds
swelling over the past few days, and even more people turning
up to join the protest on Sunday. However, for VIPs, as
everywhere, there is not much to bother.
The huge ground has a separate entry and exit gate
exclusively for VIPs, and the common people are not allowed to
use it, even when the other gates stand blocked with the
As the mass swelled by around 1 pm, people found it
increasingly hard to make an entry or worse an exit. In fact,
five children went missing in the melee.
"I tried to make entry through the gate near the mosque
but I was told it was for VIPs. I could not make my way in
through the other gates as the crowd would not allow," a woman
It was the hardest for women to negotiate their way
around the ground.
By afternoon, thousands of people had gathered at the
grounds, but not many women were to be seen.
"Today was a holiday, so I came with my husband. I have
not seen many girls around and the crowd is not very good,"
said a woman.
A woman singer from Uttar Pradesh who rendered her voice
to patriotic songs was received with nasty whistles and
comments from the crowd.
While Hazare was seated at a podium raised 20 feet high,
the seating space for people was around 60 feet away from the
dais. In between was a fenced area reserved for VIPs, followed
by a media enclosure.
As crowds swelled, five children went missing and parents
and relatives were finding it hard to get an announcement made
from the podium.
The volunteers, who were distributing water among the
crowd, too took special care of the VIP enclosure, cleaning
the area from time to time.
Among the VIPs who made their way through the special
gate were Justice Santosh Hegde and MCD Mayor Rajni Abbi among
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015