HC directs Speaker to dispose petition within eight weeks
Cuttack: Orissa High Court thursday directed the state Legislative Assembly Speaker to dispose of within eight weeks a petition filed by state NCP president seeking disqualification of four former party MLAs.
Parida had petitioned the Speaker under Article 191 of the Constitution and the Rules governing thereof seeking disqualification of all four NCP MLAs, who had voluntarily given up their memberships from the party and had joined the ruling BJD in the state earlier this year.
Speaker Pradeep Kumar Amat had, however, not paid any heed to the petition of Parida saying that he was not a member of the Assembly and hence he (Parida) cannot seek any relief from the Speaker under Article 191 of the Constitution.
But a Division Bench of the High Court comprising Chief Justice V Gopala Gowda and Justice B K Mishra today overruled the objection filed by the Speaker and observed that any interested person can petition the Speaker seeking disqualification of any member of the House on the ground of defection as per the Tenth Schedule of the Constitution.
Four NCP MLAs Amar Prasad Satapathy, Ramachandra Hansda, Prashanta Nanda and Nabin Nanda - had joined the ruling BJP.
Parida, a former legislator last month had petitioned the Speaker seeking disqualification of the four MLAs as they had voluntarily given up the membership of the party that had helped them to become legislators. But when Speaker Pradeep Kumar Amat did not take any cognizance of Parida?s petition, he chose to approach the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof