HC directs Speaker to dispose petition within eight weeks
Cuttack: Orissa High Court thursday directed the state Legislative Assembly Speaker to dispose of within eight weeks a petition filed by state NCP president seeking disqualification of four former party MLAs.
Parida had petitioned the Speaker under Article 191 of the Constitution and the Rules governing thereof seeking disqualification of all four NCP MLAs, who had voluntarily given up their memberships from the party and had joined the ruling BJD in the state earlier this year.
Speaker Pradeep Kumar Amat had, however, not paid any heed to the petition of Parida saying that he was not a member of the Assembly and hence he (Parida) cannot seek any relief from the Speaker under Article 191 of the Constitution.
But a Division Bench of the High Court comprising Chief Justice V Gopala Gowda and Justice B K Mishra today overruled the objection filed by the Speaker and observed that any interested person can petition the Speaker seeking disqualification of any member of the House on the ground of defection as per the Tenth Schedule of the Constitution.
Four NCP MLAs Amar Prasad Satapathy, Ramachandra Hansda, Prashanta Nanda and Nabin Nanda - had joined the ruling BJP.
Parida, a former legislator last month had petitioned the Speaker seeking disqualification of the four MLAs as they had voluntarily given up the membership of the party that had helped them to become legislators. But when Speaker Pradeep Kumar Amat did not take any cognizance of Parida?s petition, he chose to approach the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Check uaresults.nic.in for Uttarakhand Board Class 12 result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes