HC extends release of Italian vessel by another day
Kochi/Kollam: The Kerala High Court on Monday
further stayed the release of Italian vessel Enrica Lexie till Tuesday even as a court in Kollam extended for 14 days the judicial remand of the ship`s two marines, charged with gunning down two Indian fishermen off the Kerala coast on
In the high Court, acting Chief Justice Manjula Chellur and Justice V Chidambaresh observed that petitioner Dolphin Tankers, owner of the vessel, ought to have approached the magistrate court for the ship`s release.
The bench orally observed, "We cannot block the
jurisdiction of magistrate court and deviate from procedure.
Criminal Procedure Code is applicable in this case
also. Procedure cannot be changed in the reason that there is
involvement of huge money. We cannot unsettle a settled
The court adjourned the case to tomorrow for further
hearing on the request of petitioners.
Meanwhile, the remand of marines Latore Massimiliano and
Salvatore Girone has been extended by another 14 days. They
were produced before Chief Judicial Magistrate AK Gopakumar
after being brought from the central prison in the state
capital where they are lodged.
The naval guards were arrested on February 19 and charged
with murder of fishermen Valentine Jalastine and Ajesh Binki,
who had put out to sea from Neendakara in Kollam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi